Sunday, September 09, 2007

September 9 - Sweet Are Your Words

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Psalm 119:81 - 104
N.T. - 1 Peter 2:1-3

Focus Verses: Psalm 119:97, 103-104

97 Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long. 103 How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! 104 I gain understanding from your precepts; therefore I hate every wrong path.

Insight:
Bible reading should not be approached as a mere duty or study assignment. The psalmist loved the Scriptures and savored them like honey. When something is sweet and desirable it is approached as a joy and privilege. Those who delight in the richness of the Word gain understanding for life and find every right path.

Response and Action:
I am thankful for the Bible and I read it because I want to! I want to enjoy and delight in the precious gift of God's Word. I cannot think of anything sweeter than finding my way in life and growing in wisdom.

O God, thank you for the sweetness and goodness of your Word. Help me to delight in it each day. Lead me and bless me as I do. Amen.

Proverbs: 8:10-11
"Choose my instruction instead of silver, knowledge rather than choice gold, for wisdom is more precious than rubies, and nothing you desire can compare with her."

Resources:
How to Read the Bible Book by Book: A Guided Tour
by Gordon Fee