Monday, December 03, 2007

December 3 - Careful to Remember

Today's Reading:
Judges 2:6-19; 4:1-24
"Disobedience, Defeat, and Deborah"

Focus Verses: Judges 2:10-14
10 After that whole generation had been gathered to their fathers, another generation grew up, who knew neither the LORD nor what he had done for Israel. 11 Then the Israelites did evil in the eyes of the LORD and served the Baals. 12 They forsook the LORD, the God of their fathers, who had brought them out of Egypt. They followed and worshiped various gods of the peoples around them. They provoked the LORD to anger 13 because they forsook him and served Baal and the Ashtoreths. 14 In his anger against Israel the LORD handed them over to raiders who plundered them. He sold them to their enemies all around, whom they were no longer able to resist.

Insight:
The new generation of Israelites who were born in the Promised Land, did not remember or appreciate their history. They forgot their heritage and turned away from God to worship the idols and false gods of the people around them. This resulted in conflict, war, and bloodshed. They were caught in a tragic cycle. First they would forget and forsake God. Then, they would fall prey to their enemies. Next, they would cry out to God for help. Then, God would deliver them and restore them through chosen leaders (judges). Finally, they would prosper, but in their prosperity they would once again forget and forsake God.

Response and Action:
I don't want to forget who God is or how far God has brought me. I don't want to be a person who cries out to God when times are bad, but then forgets and turns away from God when times are good. I do not want to forget and turn away from God when I'm doing well. I do not want hardship and suffering to be the only things that cause me to look up. Instead, I want to live a consistent and dedicated life toward God. I want to praise and honor God in times of blessing. I want to avoid the pain, conflict, drama, and disaster that inevitably follow forsaking God.

O God, give me the wisdom to remember. Thank you for the Scriptures that recall your redemptive work throughout the history of mankind. Help me to love and honor you in times of blessing. I want to be faithful to you everyday and not let comfort or success turn my eyes from you. Help me to lift my voice up to you in praise and faith, so that I might not have to lift up my voice in sorrow that results from my own rebellion. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov.3:1-2
"My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart, for they will prolong your life many years and bring you prosperity.

New Testament for Today: Hebrews 3:12
12 See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God.
In Context: Hebrews 3:1-19

Resources:
Never Beyond Hope: How God Touches & Uses Imperfect People
by J.I. Packer and Carolyn Nystrom