Saturday, April 19, 2008

April 19 - Walk this Way

Overview of: Matthew

Today's Reading:
Matthew 11:1-30
"Jesus and Truth"

Focus Verses: Matt. 11:27-30
27 "All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. 28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Insight:
Only Jesus can truly reveal God the Father to us. He extends a promise of rest for the weary and blessing for the burdened. Just as a young ox learns how to work by being yoked together with an older and more experienced animal, Jesus invites us to be yoked with him. By walking beside him, not pushing ahead of him or dragging behind him, we will learn to walk in the pace and power of his Spirit. He will not add to our burden, but will instead share the load with us.

Response and Action:
I want to keep in step with the Spirit of Christ. I will study the scriptures and give careful thought to my ways. I will do all I can to follow in the footsteps of Christ--to walk as he walked. I will yield myself to him so that he might live through me. I will be prayerful and thoughtful about my choices, thoughts, and actions. I will stay in close fellowship with others who are seeking Christ, so that together we might walk in the light as he is in the light.

O God, show me your ways through the teaching and life of Christ Jesus. Help me to obey his commands, to walk in his ways, to meditate upon his words, to follow his example, and cling to his promises. Jesus, walk beside me and teach me to walk in the unforced rhythms of grace. It's in your name that I pray. Amen.

Old Testament for Today: Psalm 68:19-20
19 Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens. Selah 20 Our God is a God who saves; from the Sovereign LORD comes escape from death.
In Context: Psalm 68

Proverb for Today: Prov. 19:16

"He who obeys instructions guards his life, but he who is contemptuous of his ways will die."

Recommended Reading:
The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism
by Timothy Keller