Thursday, July 31, 2008

July 31 - Encourage and Spur

Overview of: Hebrews

Today's Reading:

Hebrews 10:5-39
"A New and Living Way"

Focus Verses:
Hebrews 10:23-25
23 Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. 25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Insight:
Our hope in Christ requires commitment and faith in God's promises. Faith is meant to be lived out in community, and so we must be committed to fellowship with other Christians. Because of the hope we have in Christ, we should spur each other on toward love and good deeds. We must do our best to encourage each other with a sense of urgency, knowing that Christ's return is imminent.

Response and Action:
My hope is in Christ. I will put my hope in him and trust his promises. I will look for ways to encourage and prompt others toward a deeper relationship with God. I will also cultivate ways to help my Christian community to become more loving and servant-minded toward others.

O God, help me to live for you and through you in thought, word, and deed. Help me to love you with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. By the power and grace of your Holy Spirit, lead, teach, shape, and strengthen me. Help me, by faith, to do the good things you've prepared in advance for me to do. Amen.

Old Testament for Today: Psalm 133:1
1 How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity!
In Context: Psalm 133

Proverb for Today: Prov. 31:30

"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised."

Recommended Reading:
Living the Resurrection: The Risen Christ in an Everyday Life
by Eugene Peterson