Tuesday, November 18, 2008

November 18 - Grumbling or Grateful

Overview of: Numbers

Today's Reading:
Num. 11:1 - 12:16
"Quail and Complaints"

Focus Verses: Numbers 11:21-23
21 But Moses said, "Here I am among six hundred thousand men on foot, and you say, 'I will give them meat to eat for a whole month!' 22 Would they have enough if flocks and herds were slaughtered for them? Would they have enough if all the fish in the sea were caught for them?" 23 The LORD answered Moses, "Is the LORD's arm too short? You will now see whether or not what I say will come true for you."

Insight:
After all God had brought them through, it's difficult to see how the Israelites could complain about their diet. When they were slaves in Egypt, surely any of them would have gladly given up meat from their diet in exchange for freedom. But now, even though they were free, they had the audacity to talk about Egypt like they missed it.

Instead of being thankful for what they had and for all God had done to bless them, they whined about what they didn't have and what they wanted God to do. God proved, once again, that he was more than able to provide for them. So able, in fact, that he brought them enough quail to feed them for a month.

Response and Action:
I don't want to be a complainer. I want to be much quicker to thank God for what I have than I am to complain to him about what I don't have. I want to be a grateful person who is continually giving praise to God for what he has done and is doing in my life. I will trust God to provide for my needs.

O God, thank you for your goodness and your generous provision to me. Give me a heart of thanksgiving and eyes to see the many ways you have blessed me. Help me to trust in you for all my needs. Forgive me for the times I whine and complain. Help me to mature and grow so strong in you that I am able to be content in any and every circumstance. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

New Testament for Today: Philippians 4:14-15
14 Do everything without complaining or arguing, 15 so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe...
In Context: Philippians 2:14-16, 4:12-13

Proverb for Today: Prov.18:12
"Before his downfall a man's heart is proud, but humility comes before honor."

Resources:
Following Jesus
by N.T. Wright