Friday, February 27, 2009

February 27 - Arm of Salvation

Overview of: Isaiah

Today's Reading:
Isaiah 40:1-31; 52:1 - 53:12
"God's Servant who Saves"

Focus Verses: Isaiah 52:10,13-15
10 The LORD will lay bare his holy arm in the sight of all the nations, and all the ends of the earth will see the salvation of our God. - - - 13 See, my servant will act wisely; he will be raised and lifted up and highly exalted. 14 Just as there were many who were appalled at him — his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man and his form marred beyond human likeness— 15 so will he sprinkle many nations, and kings will shut their mouths because of him. For what they were not told, they will see, and what they have not heard, they will understand.

Insight:
The ultimate salvation for Israel would be more than the return from exile, more than the rebuilding of the temple, and more than the restoration of Jerusalem. It would be good news of peace and salvation under God's reign. But how and through whom would this salvation and peace come?

Isaiah's words about a faithful and wise servant were hard to understand. Who would this servant be? Why would suffer violence? What would kings and nations come to understand about him?

Christ's life, crucifixion, and resurrection seem to be the perfect fulfillment of Isaiah's prophecy. The Good News of Jesus is the ultimate salvation for all people made possible through his atoning death on the cross.

Response and Action:
I believe that Jesus has conquered death and offered salvation to a people. My trust and hope are in him. I am depending on Jesus for salvation from sin, strength and guidance for life, and the promise of eternal life.

O God, thank you for Christ Jesus who has taken up my infirmities and carried my sorrows. Thank you, Lord and Savior, for bearing the punishment that has brought me peace. You were pierced and crushed for my sin; by your wounds I am healed. I exalt and worship you, Jesus, for you were lifted up on the cross, dying that I might have life. Praise the name of Jesus! Amen.

New Testament for Today: John 12:32-33
32 But I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to myself." 33 He said this to show the kind of death he was going to die.
In Context: John 12:20-36

Proverb for Today: Prov. 27:12
"The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it."

Recommended Reading:
The Incomparable Christ
by John Stott