Tuesday, June 02, 2009

June 2 - Tongue Twister

Overview of: James

Today's Reading:

James 3:1 – 5:20
"The Tongue, Tomorrow, and Truth"

Focus Verses:
James 3:9-12
9 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. 10 Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. 11 Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? 12 My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

Insight:
An undisciplined tongue is inconsistent with following Christ and honoring God. What we say is very important. If hurtful and careless things flow from our mouths, the praise we offer God may be nothing more than lip service. A mouth that says sweet things to God should not say bitter things to those God has created and loved. Being careful to say helpful, loving, and constructive words to others may be the best way to praise God with our mouths.

Response and Action:
I need to recognize the importance of my words and the need to choose them wisely. I need to see the connection between my words to people and my words to God. I must avoid a mental disconnect that allows me to offer words of praise to God, but be careless or hurtful in my words to people. I will ask God for the grace and guidance I need as I make every effort to be disciplined and helpful in my speech. I will strive to honor God in the way I speak to others, not just in the words I say to God.

Dear Lord, help me to be careful about my words. Grant me the grace to be disciplined in my speech. Forgive me for the times I am thoughtless or hurtful with my mouth. Teach me to be wise in my speech, that my words would honor you as they help and bless others. Amen.

Old Testament for Today: Psalm 17:1-3
1 Hear me, LORD, my plea is just; listen to my cry. Hear my prayer—it does not rise from deceitful lips. 2 Let my vindication come from you; may your eyes see what is right. 3 Though you probe my heart, though you examine me at night and test me, you will find that I have planned no evil; my mouth has not transgressed.
In Context: Psalm 17

Proverb for Today: Prov. 2:6

"For the LORD gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding."

Recommended Reading:
The Jesus Creed: Loving God, Loving Others
by Scot McKnight