Friday, October 20, 2006

October 20 - Praying for Others

Today's Reading:
Old Testament: Exodus 31-32
New Testament: John 12
Focus Verses: Exodus 32:31-32
31 So Moses went back to the LORD and said, "Oh, what a great sin these people have committed! They have made themselves gods of gold. 32 But now, please forgive their sin—but if not, then blot me out of the book you have written."

Insight:
In the midst of their idolatry and careless treachery against God, Moses calls the people of Israel to repentance. He boldly interceded for them and identified with them by asking God to forgive them of their sins, and, if that was not possible, to judge him (blot him out of God's book) right along with them.

Response and Action:
I need to humbly recognize that I am a sinner and to pray for others.

Have mercy on me, O God, a sinner. Help me to call people to truth and repentance. Help all who seek you to turn away from what is wrong and to do what is right. Lead us away from temptation and deliver us from evil. When I see the sin of others, help me to be an intercessor for them -- not a judge, and not an observer. When I sin, raise up those who will pray for me and restore me. Help me to gently and prayerfully help others turn away from sin. Have mercy on us all, O God, and save us by your grace through Jesus. Amen.

Proverbs: 20:9
Who can say, "I have kept my heart pure; I am clean and without sin"?

Resources:
Praying: Finding Our Way Through Duty to Delight
by J. I. Packer