Wednesday, January 17, 2007

January 17 - Seeing More Each Day

Today's Reading:
O.T. - 1 Kings 10 -11
N.T. - Ephesians 1

Focus Verses: Ephesians 1:18-20
I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength, which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms...

Insight:
Paul prays for the Christians in Ephesus to be receptive to, and fully aware of all that God has for them -- the hope, inheritance, and power for all who believe. Implicit in his prayer is the idea that it is possible to be a believer and yet be blind to much of what God has for you. Christians must live, pray, and act in ways that open them up to see and take hold of God's power and blessing in their lives.

Response and Action:
I want to be aware of all that God has for me. I want to take hold of the resurrection power he offers for the transformation of my life. I want to experience of the hope and the depth of life available to those who answer God's call through faith in Christ. I need to prayerfully and intentionally do all I can to be receptive to all God has for me.

O God. By the power and grace of your Holy Spirit, lead, teach, shape, and strengthen me, that I might delight in you will and walk in your ways to the glory of your name. Open the eyes of my heart and make me fully aware and receptive to you. Help me to be a good steward of all you have given me. Give me the will and the wiseom to guard my heart, to feed my spirit, to stimulate my mind, and to care for my body. Help me to establish routines and practices that contribute to my spiritual growth and maturity. Amen.

Proverbs: 17:24
"A discerning man keeps wisdom in view, but a fool's eyes wander to the ends of the earth."

Resources:
Spiritual Disciplines Handbook: Practices That Transform Us
by Adele Ahlberg Calhoun