Wednesday, October 01, 2008

October 1 - Waking Up to God

Overview of: Genesis

Today's Reading:
Gen. 28:1 - 29:35
"God's House and Laban's House"

Focus Verses: Genesis 28:18-19
15 "I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you."

Insight:
Jacob's maneuvering and manipulation had provoked his brother Esau to the point of violence. Esau had begun to comfort himself with the thought of killing Jacob some time after his father Isaac died. In fear for his life, his mother sent him away to stay with her brother.

One night on his journey, Jacob had a dream. He saw a stairway extending down to earth from heaven. From the top of the stairs he heard the voice of the Lord--the God of his fathers, Abraham and Isaac. The Lord promised to watch over him, protect him, prosper him, restore him, and above all to bless all peoples on the earth through him.

Jacob was amazed at the encounter with God. He realized God was present, reaching down to him, and willing to bless him. Jacob responded with worship and a commitment to give honor and thanks to God.

Response and Action:
It's an important day when a person realizes that God is present and reaching out to him. I'm thankful for a day I can remember when God impressed upon me the reality of his presence and his power to save. Like Jacob, that day was just the beginning for me; there have been many lessons and new realizations on my journey. And as he was with Jacob, God has been faithful and patient with me. He has led, provided, protected, and sustained me. Like Jacob, I want to live with reverence for God and to give thanks for every blessing. I will give a portion of all I have back to God as an offering of thanks and worship.

O God, thank you for reaching down to me. Teach me to love you with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. Help me to be aware of your presence and blessing in my life--in every moment and in every place. Accept the offerings I give as an expression of my thanks and my trust in you to provide. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

New Testament for Today: 2 Corinthians 9:6-8
6 Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. 7 Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 8 And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.
In Context: 2 Corinthians 9:6-15

Proverb for Today:
Prov. 1:7
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction."

Resources:
How To Read Genesis
by Tremper Longman