Thursday, March 05, 2009

March 5 - Astonished

Overview of: Luke

Today's Reading:
Luke 5:1 – 6:49
"Calling and Kingdom"

Focus Verses: Luke 5:8-11
8 When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus' knees and said, "Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!" 9 For he and all his companions were astonished at the catch of fish they had taken, 10 and so were James and John, the sons of Zebedee, Simon's partners. Then Jesus said to Simon, "Don't be afraid; from now on you will catch men." 11 So they pulled their boats up on shore, left everything and followed him.

Insight:
Simon Peter was shaken by the mystery and authority he saw in Jesus. Because of the awe he had for Jesus, and the deep sense of his own sinfulness, Peter's first inclination was to push Jesus away. Jesus reassured him and spoke of a new future and purpose for his life. Peter and his partners, James and John, walked away from everything and followed Jesus.

Response and Action:
Like Peter, I am very impressed with Jesus. His power and authority are amazing. Sadly, like Peter I can also, at times, be preoccupied with my sin and weakness. It's so good to know that Jesus interrupts my shame and self-doubt with grace and peace. He tells me to not be afraid and gives me hope and purpose. I want to put Jesus first and find my purpose in him. I will follow him and treasure him above all things. I will leave behind anything that hinders my walk with him.

O God, thank you for the grace and truth Christ brings. I am astonished by his power and his call to me. Help me to honor and obey him. Help me to demonstrate my love for him by keeping his word. Show me your purpose for my life, remove my fears, and give me the courage to follow Jesus wherever he leads. Give me the wisdom and the will to cast off anything that would distract me from the promise I have in Christ . Amen.

Old Testament for Today: Psalm 1:1-2
1 Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. 2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night.
In Context: Psalm 1

Proverb for Today: Prov. 5:21

"For a man's ways are in full view of the LORD, and he examines all his paths."

Recommended Reading:
Following Jesus: Biblical Reflections on Discipleship
by N. T. Wright