Monday, April 27, 2009

April 27 - Life Math

Overview of: 1 Corinthians

Today's Reading:

1Cor. 11:1 – 13:13
"Worship and Community"

Focus Verses:
1 Cor. 13:4-7
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Insight:
Here is a simple equation for life: (Whatever I can do) - (Love) = 0. Great ability, minus love, equals nothing. Amazing accomplishments, minus love, equals nothing. Self-sacrifice, minus love, equals nothing. Staggering insight and understanding, minus love, equals nothing. Amazing accomplishments, minus love, equals nothing. Faith and miracles, minus love, equals nothing. Life – Love = Nothing.

Response and Action:
Love is the defining mark that demonstrates God's transforming grace and power in my life. Since God is the source of love, those who do not love show that they do not know God. I want to put away childish things and grow in love. I want to love and value others. I want to grow into a person who loves others as Christ loves me. I want to be patient, kind, humble, and slow to anger. I desire to rejoice in truth, to protect, trust, hope, and persevere.

O God, thank you for the love you have for me, demonstrated through Christ's death. Thank you for acting to save and redeem me from my sin. Renew and transform me. Make me able to love others with the love of Christ. Help me to live it out in practical and meaningful ways. Make the love of Christ visible and tangible through me. It's in Jesus' loving and life-giving name that I pray. Amen.

Old Testament for Today: Psalm 145
13 Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and your dominion endures through all generations. The LORD is faithful to all his promises and loving toward all he has made. 14 The LORD upholds all those who fall and lifts up all who are bowed down.
In Context: Psalm 145

Proverb for Today: Prov. 2:19
"As water reflects the face, so one's life reflects the heart."

Recommended Reading:
The Jesus Creed: Loving God, Loving Others
by Scot McKnight