Saturday, May 16, 2009

May 16 - Encouragement

Overview of: 2 Thessalonians

Today's Reading:

2Thes. 1:1 – 3:18
"Thanks and Instruction"

Focus Verses:
1 Thes. 3:2-5
15 So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter. 16 May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, 17 encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word.

Insight:
Paul's admonitions for the Thessalonian believers were the overflow of God's grace, encouragement, and hope in his own life. He urged the Thessalonians to stand firm and to hold on to the teachings he had passed on to them. He prayed that their hearts would be strengthened and encouraged for doing and saying all God had called them to through Christ.

Response and Action:
If I am going to teach or encourage others, it must flow out of a deep relationship with Christ Jesus. The grace of God, the encouragement of the Spirit, and my hope in Christ are the basis of every good deed and word I have to offer. I will hold to the teachings of Scripture, seek to live by the transforming grace and power of the Holy Spirit, and do all I can to encourage others in their walk with Christ.

O God, help me to love you with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength, and to love others as myself. By your grace and mercy, encourage me and strengthen me for every good work. Make me an encourager and give me the grace to spur others on to a deeper walk with you. By the transforming power of your Holy Spirit, help me to stand firm in my faith, to delight in your will, and to walk in your ways, to the glory of your name. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Old Testament for Today: Psalm 10:17-18
17 You hear, O LORD, the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen to their cry, 18 defending the fatherless and the oppressed, in order that man, who is of the earth, may terrify no more.
In Context: Psalm 10

Proverb for Today: Prov. 16:21

"The wise in heart are called discerning, and pleasant words promote instruction."

Recommended Reading:
Love One Another: Becoming the Church Jesus Longs For
by Gerald L. Sittser