Monday, February 19, 2007

February 19 - Learning to Say "No"

Today's Reading:
O.T. - 2 Chronicles 20 - 21
N.T. - Titus 2

Focus Verses:
Titus 2:11-14
11For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. 12It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, 13while we wait for the blessed hope—the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, 14who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.

Insight:
God desires a people for himself -- people who are purified by his grace, and eager to do what is good. God's grace is more than forgiveness; it is our teacher. It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passion. It teaches us to live self-controlled lives that honor God.

Response and Action:
I want to be taught by God's grace. I want and need to learn how to say "No" to ungodliness. I want to say "No" to worldly passion. I want to honor God and learn how to live a self-controlled life by the power and grace of the Holy Spirit. I will prayerfully identify areas of my life where I need to say "No" in order to live a godly life.

O God, help me to live for you and through this day in thought, word, and deed. Help me to turn away from what is wrong, and to do what is right. Teach me to say "No" to ungodliness, and teach me to say "Yes" to all that is righteous and true. Make me yours and help me to honor you. Change my heart and help me to live a self-controlled life by the power of your Spirit. Amen.
Proverbs: 19:16
"He who obeys instructions guards his life, but he who is contemptuous of his ways will die."