Friday, February 02, 2007

February 2 - Not Unsettled by Trials

Today's Reading:
O.T. - 2 Kings 22 - 23
N.T. - 1 Thessalonians 2:17 - 3:13

Focus Verses: 1 Thes. 3:2-5
2We sent Timothy, who is our brother and God's fellow worker in spreading the gospel of Christ, to strengthen and encourage you in your faith, 3so that no one would be unsettled by these trials. You know quite well that we were destined for them. 4In fact, when we were with you, we kept telling you that we would be persecuted. And it turned out that way, as you well know. 5For this reason, when I could stand it no longer, I sent Timothy to find out about your faith.

Insight:
The Christian life is not free from troubles and problems. In fact, following Christ may result in struggles and persecution. Those who imagine that faith in Jesus exempts them from trials will find themselves unsettled. Sound Christian teaching should strengthen and encourage new believers to prepare for hardships and difficulties.

Response and Action:
Jesus endured hardship and suffering, so I will not expect to escape the trials of life as I follow him. I will not live in a false faith that expects life to be trouble free. Instead, I will draw near to Christ and do all I can to mature in him, believing that his grace and power and wisdom can see me through any circumstance or storm. While I do not expect my life to be trouble free, I know that, by following Jesus, far fewer of my problems will be of my own making. Obedience to Christ, and the transformation he can bring about in my life, will certainly free me from the hardships that result from my own sin. If I experience hardship, I want it to be the result of doing and believing what is right (1 Peter 2:19-21).

Strengthen me, Holy God, to follow you with my whole heart. Prepare me for the trials of life, and sustain me through every storm, by your grace and power. Give me the wisdom to face the realities and pains of life in a fallen world. Transform me and give me spiritual maturity so that I might avoid the snares and wounds that result from my own disobedience and sin. Whether by life or by death, may Christ be exalted in me. Amen.

Proverbs: 2:12-13
"Wisdom will save you from the ways of wicked men, from men whose words are perverse, who leave the straight paths to walk in dark ways..."

Resources:
Strength for the Storm: Finding God in Every Crisis
by Richard Exley