Wednesday, November 07, 2007

November 7 - Pride Kills

Today's Reading:
Exodus 10:1 – 11:10
"Pharaoh Refuses to Humble Himself"

Focus Verses: Exodus 10:3
3 So Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and said to him, "This is what the LORD, the God of the Hebrews, says: 'How long will you refuse to humble yourself before me? Let my people go, so that they may worship me.

Insight:
How did God harden Pharaoh's heart? By continually giving him more chances to humble himself. With every refusal, God's power was displayed yet again, and Pharaoh's stubborn pride became more irrational and self-destructive. The harder he fought against God, the harder his fall was certain to be.

Response and Action:
Refusing to humble myself before God, and to obey him, is self-destructive. Being prideful and having a disregard for God is sure to bring me down. If I am humble before God and responsive to his call and his commands, he will lift me up. Resisting God is irrational. Yielding to God makes perfect sense.

O God, help me to live for you and through you this day in thought, word, and deed. Help me to turn away from what is wrong and to do what is right. Help me to love you with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. Teach me your ways and walk humble with you. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov.7:2
"Keep my commands and you will live; guard my teachings as the apple of your eye."

New Testament for Today: James 4:8-10
8Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up. In Context: James 4:1-12

Resources:
Renovation of the Heart
by Dallas Willard