Thursday, November 08, 2007

November 8 - Cries in the Darkness

Today's Reading:
Exodus 12:1-30
"The Passover"

Focus Verses: Exodus 12:29-30
29 At midnight the LORD struck down all the firstborn in Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh, who sat on the throne, to the firstborn of the prisoner, who was in the dungeon, and the firstborn of all the livestock as well. 30 Pharaoh and all his officials and all the Egyptians got up during the night, and there was loud wailing in Egypt, for there was not a house without someone dead.

Insight:
In obeying Moses' instruction to them regarding the Passover, the Israelites were graciously saved from the plague of death. They sacrificed lambs, made unleavened bread, marked the doorposts of their homes with blood, and stayed inside all night long and worshiped God. They took hold of God's salvation by faith in reverent obedience.

The Egyptians, due to Pharaoh's stubborn defiance, were subject to the consequences of rebellion. Failure to acknowledge God results in sorrow and death. How different the story of Egypt might have been if Pharaoh had humbled himself and put his faith in God!

Response and Action:
I will put my faith in God. I want to take hold of God's gracious offer of life and salvation through Christ. I will reverently enter into the Passover story through faith in Christ Jesus. I believe that the Passover of Exodus is a foreshadowing of the ultimate Passover made possible through Jesus, the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. I will hide myself in him.

O God, save me from the destruction and death that result from sin. Thank you for the salvation you have graciously extended to me through Christ Jesus. May his cross be the blood mark on the door of my heart. May his church be the house I stay within, a place of fellowship, and a refuge from judgment. May each day of my life be and act of worship and thanksgiving. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov.8:35
"For whoever finds me finds life and receives favor from the LORD."

New Testament for Today: Romans 6:23
23For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
In Context: Romans 6:15-23

Resources:
Cries of The Heart
by Ravi Zacharias