Friday, February 15, 2008

February 15 - Living Water

Overview of: Jeremiah

Today's Reading:
Jer. 1:1-3; 2:2-27
"Jerusalem is Exiled"

Focus Verses: Jeremiah 2:11-13
11 Has a nation ever changed its gods? (Yet they are not gods at all.) But my people have exchanged their Glory for worthless idols. 12 Be appalled at this, O heavens, and shudder with great horror," declares the LORD. 13 "My people have committed two sins: They have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water.

Insight:
Jeremiah prophesied during the days of the righteous King Josiah, and lamented his death. He continued his prophetic ministry through the final collapse of Judah (under King Zedekiah), and witnessed the exile of it's people and the destruction of Jerusalem.

The nation of Israel had exchanged the Glory of the true God for worthless idols, which were "not gods at all." God’s people turned away from the living water of His truth and provision, and instead "dug their own reservoirs," depending on their own failing strength and resources.

Response and Action:
I do not want to turn away from God in exchange for something less. I do not want to exchange truth for a lie. I don't want to depend on myself to supply what only God can give. I need to seek and worship God with all my heart and soul. I need to make time for worship, prayer, scripture, study, service, and reflection. The Glory of God as revealed in Christ Jesus must be at the center of my hopes, desires, plans, decisions, goals, and actions.

O God, my hope is in you. My faith is in Jesus, your Son, who has made you known to me and saved me by his blood. Give me the heart and the wisdom to seek first his Kingdom, and his righteousness. Help me to turn to you for the springs of living water only you can provide. Forgive me for the times I settle for less than you. Save me from the sin of self-reliance. Help me to grow in faith and live by faith in you and you alone. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 15:33
"The fear of the LORD teaches a man wisdom, and humility comes before honor."

New Testament for Today: Romans 1:5
5 They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

Recommended Reading:
Breaking the Idols of Your Heart
by Dan Allender and Tremper Longman