Tuesday, February 05, 2008

February 5 - Turning to God

Overview of: 2 Chronicles

Today's Reading:
2 Chronicles 20:1-30
"God Saves Judah"

Focus Verses: 2 Chron. 20:1-30
27 Then, led by Jehoshaphat, all the men of Judah and Jerusalem returned joyfully to Jerusalem, for the LORD had given them cause to rejoice over their enemies. 28 They entered Jerusalem and went to the temple of the LORD with harps and lutes and trumpets. 29 The fear of God came upon all the kingdoms of the countries when they heard how the LORD had fought against the enemies of Israel. 30 And the kingdom of Jehoshaphat was at peace, for his God had given him rest on every side.

Insight:
While God allowed the northern kingdom of Israel to be defeated and scattered by its enemies, he saved Judah (the southern kingdom) because they turned to him. King Jehoshaphat assembled all the people, and they humbled themselves before God and prayed. This was done in accordance with the promise God had made to King Solomon (2 Chron. 7:14) at the dedication of the Temple -- "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

Response and Action:
God is ready to save those who humble themselves, repent, and call out to him for help. I want to have a humble heart that is quick to turn to God for help and forgiveness. I need to be honest about my need for God’s help and mercy, and turn away from sin. God is faithful to deliver and restore those who are humble and contrite before him.

O God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Forgive me of my sins and save me from the things that can destroy my life. Help me to turn away from what is wrong and to do what is right. Teach me to walk in your ways. Give me the courage to trust and praise you as I look to you for deliverance and guidance. By the power and grace of your Holy Spirit, lead, teach, transform, shape, and strengthen me. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 5:21-22
"For a man's ways are in full view of the LORD, and he examines all his paths. The evil deeds of a wicked man ensnare him; the cords of his sin hold him fast."

New Testament for Today: 1 John 1:9
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
In Context: 1 John 1

Recommended Reading:
The Message of Salvation: By God's Grace, for God's Glory
by Philip Graham Ryken