Saturday, October 25, 2008

October 25 - Help when I'm Afraid

Overview of: Exodus

Today's Reading:
Ex. 13:1 – 14:31
"Consecration & Crossing"

Focus Verses: Exodus 14:13-14
13 Moses answered the people, "Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the LORD will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. 14 The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still."

Insight:
With Pharaoh's army pursuing them from behind and the Red Sea before them blocking any way of escape, the Israelites were terrified. They thought they would be killed in a massacre.

Moses told them to be still, to stand firm, and to not be afraid. He said God would fight for them and bring them deliverance. Those who were threatening their lives would never threaten them again.

Response and Action:
When I am facing challenges and threatening circumstances, I need to remember that I am not alone. God will help me, so I will stand firm. God is able to deliver me, so I will not be afraid. God is able to save, so I will be still and trust in him.

O God, when I am afraid, help me to be still and put my trust in you. When I feel like running in the face of challenges and obstacles, give me the courage to stand firm. Be my help, my shelter, and my deliverer. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

New Testament for Today: Ephesians 6:10-11
10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes.
In Context: Ephesians 6:10-20

Proverb for Today: Prov. 25:25
"Like cold water to a weary soul is good news from a distant land."

Resources:
Exodus: Learning to Trust God
by James Reapsome