Monday, October 27, 2008

October 27 - Quick to Sing

Overview of: Exodus

Today's Reading:
Ex. 15:1-27
"Songs and Complaints"

Focus Verses: Exodus 15:1-2
1 Then Moses and the Israelites sang this song to the LORD : "I will sing to the LORD, for he is highly exalted. The horse and its rider he has hurled into the sea. 2 The LORD is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him.

Insight:
The people of Israel had cried out in fear when Pharaoh's army pursued them and they were trapped along the Red Sea, but God was faithful to deliver them. They were filled with joy because of God's mighty salvation. They burst into song and dance because God had saved them. It wasn't long, however, before they faced another challenge--a shortage of water, and the people were quick to grumble against Moses.

Response and Action:
I want to grow in my faith and confidence in God. I want to be quicker to give thanks than I am to grumble. I want to be quicker to remember God's blessing and provision than I am to worry about the next challenge or hardship. I want to be a singer of praise instead of a grumbler about problems.

O God, forgive me for the times I am so quick to grumble and complain. Help me to remember the many ways you have provided for me. Help me to recount the blessing you have poured out on my life. Thank you for the guidance and salvation you have given. Give me a hopeful heart that is devoted to you, a thankful mouth that gives you praise, and a clear mind that is set on following Christ. It's in his name that I pray all this. Amen.

New Testament for Today: Ephesians 5:19-20
19 Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, 20 always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
In Context: Ephesians 5:1-20

Proverb for Today: Prov. 27:12
"The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it."

Resources:
Exodus: Learning to Trust God
by James Reapsome