Friday, December 26, 2008

December 26 - Grace and Humility

Overview of: 2 Samuel

Today's Reading:
1Sam. 31:1 - 2Sam. 2:32
"Saul Dies, David Anointed"

Focus Verses: 2 Samuel 1:24-27
24 "O daughters of Israel, weep for Saul, who clothed you in scarlet and finery, who adorned your garments with ornaments of gold. 25 How the mighty have fallen in battle! Jonathan lies slain on your heights. 26 I grieve for you, Jonathan my brother; you were very dear to me. Your love for me was wonderful, more wonderful than that of women. 27 How the mighty have fallen! The weapons of war have perished!"

Insight:
The nation of Israel was in disarray by the time of Saul's death. There were divided loyalties and sharp political differences. The divisions were so intense that it would become necessary for David to conquer the capital city in order to establish his reign.

Some of his followers may have expected David to rejoice at Saul's demise, but instead he grieved. David was so different from Saul in that he understood that the Lord had established him as king over Israel. He recognized that he had been placed in the position of king, not for his own glory or because of his own merit, but rather for the sake of the people of Israel.

Response and Action:
How do I react to news of the trouble or demise an enemy has suffered? Do I gloat or do I receive the message with humility and grace toward those who have fallen? How do I think about my successes and accomplishments? Do I pat myself on the back, or do I see that it is the Lord who is blessing and granting success? I want to be humble and gracious toward those who oppose me. I want to recognize that any opportunity or blessing I have is from God.

O God, give me eyes that see your blessing, guidance, and support in every success. Grant me the wisdom to see every victory and strength as a gift from you that I might serve your people and to accomplish your purposes. I ask for a humble heart and a willing spirit. Make me quick to give you thanks and ready to live my life to the praise of your glorious grace. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

New Testament for Today: Romans 12:3
3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.
In Context: Romans 12:1-8

Proverb for Today: Prov. 26:12
"Do you see a man wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him."

Recommended Reading:
The Making of a Leader
by J. Robert Clinton