Saturday, December 06, 2008

December 6 - Surrender

Overview of: Joshua

Today's Reading:
Josh 10:29 – 11:23
"Divide and Conquer"

Focus Verses: Joshua 11:18-20
18 Joshua waged war against all these kings for a long time. 19 Except for the Hivites living in Gibeon, not one city made a treaty of peace with the Israelites, who took them all in battle. 20 For it was the LORD himself who hardened their hearts to wage war against Israel, so that he might destroy them totally, exterminating them without mercy, as the LORD had commanded Moses.

Insight:
The story of the Hivites (Joshua 9) is a very interesting exception to the way most of the cities and kings responded to Israel's invasion into their land. The Hivites, having heard of God's command to Joshua to completely conquer and destroy them, came up with a plan to trick Israel into making a peace treaty. Instead of dismissing the God of Israel, they feared him. Instead of waging war, they accepted submission and servitude. This suggests to me, that other kings and peoples could have responded in a similar way, but didn't.

Response and Action:
If I reject God's ways, ignore his authority, or resist his purposes, I will be defeated. If I humble myself, recognize my limitations, acknowledge God's authority, and submit to his will, there is hope for me. Humble submission before God is always the way to life. Pride and rebellion is always the path of destruction. Surrendering to God is wise.

O God, give me the wisdom to acknowledge your authority, the humility to submit to you, and the readiness to walk in your ways. While many resist and deny you, help me to be responsive and reverent before you. Show me your ways, you are God, my savior, and my hope is in you all day long. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

New Testament for Today: James 4:9-10
9 Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.
In Context: James 4:1-12

Proverb for Today: Prov. 6:3
"...do this, my son, to free yourself, since you have fallen into your neighbor's hands: Go and humble yourself; press your plea with your neighbor!"

Resources:
The Jesus Creed: Loving God, Loving Others
by Scot McKnight