Tuesday, April 21, 2009

April 21 - Revealed

Overview of: 1 Corinthians

Today's Reading:

1Cor. 1:1 – 2:16
"Division, Power, & Revelation"

Focus Verses:
1 Cor. 1:20-24
20
Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. 22 Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, 23 but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24 but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

Insight:
The power and wisdom of God are revealed in Christ Jesus. Philosophy and academics are useful, but they cannot, in and of themselves, give life. The wise man, the scholar, and the philosopher of this age need the truth of God to inform their wisdom, scholarship, and philosophy. God has revealed his truth and wisdom through Jesus.

Response and Action:
God's ways are higher than mine. I am reasonable enough to understand the limits of reason. Ultimate truth and wisdom are beyond my intelligence or comprehension. Apart from God's revelation and guidance, I am stuck with the frustration of my own limitations. Real wisdom is found in Jesus Christ. His words, actions, teachings, relationships, prayers, and stories all reveal the truth of God. I will examine all my studies, ideas, and beliefs in the light of what Jesus has said and done, because he is the wisdom of the God.

O God, thank you for revealing yourself through Jesus, your son. Thank you for the capacity to think and study and reason and grow. Help me to mature in wisdom and truth as I follow closely after Jesus. Amen.

Old Testament for Today: Isaiah 55:8-9
8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. 9 "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.
In Context: Isaiah 55

Proverb for Today: Prov. 20:5
"The purposes of the human heart are deep waters, but those who have insight draw them out."

Recommended Reading:

The Divine Conspiracy: Rediscovering Our Hidden Life In God
Dallas Willard