Wednesday, April 08, 2009

April 8 - Public

Overview of: Acts

Today's Reading:

Acts 20:1 – 22:29
"Macedonia to Jerusalem"

Focus Verses:
Acts 21:5-6
5 But when our time was up, we left and continued on our way. All the disciples and their wives and children accompanied us out of the city, and there on the beach we knelt to pray. 6 After saying good-by to each other, we went aboard the ship, and they returned home.

Insight:
It is striking how matter-of-fact Luke is in his recounting of these open displays of Christian love and prayer in what must have been very public places. Paul, his companions, and their Christian friends made no special effort to avoid the notice of others. These acts of genuine fellowship and love were not hampered by the public surroundings. It reminds me a lot of affectionate good-byes I have seen in airports. There was also no special effort by Paul and the disciples to protect the public from seeing their faith in God as they knelt down on the beach and prayed.

Response and Action:
When I am with my family and friends in public, I am going to feel free to be open about my affection for them and our shared faith in God. I don't need to protect the public from genuine displays of faith. When I'm in a public place, it's okay for me to bow my head, to give a hug, to say a prayer, to hold a hand, and to read my Bible. I won't do these things just to be seen, on the other hand, I also won't protect others from seeing evidence of my faith and friendships.

O God, help me to live out my love and faith in everyday ways. Help me to be as open about my love for you in public places as I would be about giving a loved one a good-bye hug in an airport. My love for Jesus and for family and for fellow Christians is not something I need to protect people from seeing. Amen.

Old Testament for Today: Daniel 12:3
3 Those who are wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars for ever and ever.
In Context: Daniel 12

Proverb for Today: Prov. 8:35
"For whoever finds me (Wisdom) finds life and receives favor from the LORD."

Recommended Reading:
Living the Story: Biblical Spirituality for Everyday Christians
by R. Paul Stevens and Michael Green