Saturday, May 30, 2009

May 30 - The Race

Overview of: Hebrews

Today's Reading:

Hebrews 12:1 – 13:25
"Discipline and Encouragement"

Focus Verses:
Hebrews 12:1-2
1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2 Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Insight:
Following Christ and living by faith requires perseverance. We must throw off the things that drag us down and entangle us in sin. We must fix our eyes on Jesus, who endured the pain of the cross for the joy and victory of salvation.

Response and Action:
Following Jesus will require perseverance, and I will certainly face hardship and struggles. I need to examine my life and identify the things that drag me down and entangle me in sin. I must then be intentional--making every effort to throw off those entanglements. I must also pursue Christ Jesus through the scriptures, through prayer, and through the fellowship and community of his church.

O God, help me to live for you and through you this day in thought, word, and deed. Help me to turn away from what is wrong and to do what is right. Lead me away from temptation, and deliver me from evil. Provide for my needs today. Protect me from discouragement, and encourage my by your Spirit through your word, your people, your promises, and all that is beautiful and true. Help me to fix my eyes on Jesus. Grant me the strength and wisdom to persevere. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Old Testament for Today: Psalm 25:4-5, 15
4 Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. 5 Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long. - - - 15 My eyes are ever on the LORD, for only he will release my feet from the snare.
In Context: Psalm 25

Proverb for Today:
Prov. 30:5
"Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him."

Recommended Reading:
Serious Times: Making Your Life Matter in an Urgent Day
by James Emery White