Friday, May 08, 2009

May 8 - New Self

Overview of: Ephesians

Today's Reading:

Ephesians 4:1 – 6:24
"Living in Christ"

Focus Verses:
Ephesians 4:22-24
22 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

Insight:
Paul reminded the Ephesians that the Christian life is about transformation. They were to put of the old self and their former ways, and to put on the new self--becoming like God in righteousness and holiness. It's very important to recognize the Christian's part in this transformation. While God's grace guides and empowers the transformation, the believer's understanding and action are essential to it.

Paul's words, "You were taught," remind us that learning is a vital part of spiritual transformation. His admonitions to "put off" and to "put on" remind us that our action and obedience are critical to spiritual transformation. We have been taught to make every effort to yield our lives to Christ, who by his grace, will create and make us new in the attitude of our minds.

Response and Action:
I want to experience spiritual transformation. I want to be made new in the attitude of my mind and to live in true righteousness and holiness. God will help me do this as I take action. My faith must be active -- lived out.

I believe God will help and empower my efforts and my acts of obedience. I will take intentional and energetic steps to put off my old self, and to turn away from sin. I will diligently apply myself to becoming an obedient and righteous follower of Jesus. My faith and the clear teaching of Scripture make it clear that with God's help, my efforts will not be in vain. My efforts will be graciously empowered by God.

O God. Help me to turn away from what is wrong and to do what is right. Lead me away from temptation and deliver me from evil. By the power and grace of your Holy Spirit, lead, teach, transform, shape, and strengthen me that I might delight in your will and walk in your ways to the glory of your Name. Amen.

Old Testament for Today: Ezekiel 18:31-32
31 Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, house of Israel? 32 For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!
In Context: Ezekiel 18

Proverb for Today: Prov. 8:10-11

"Choose my instruction instead of silver, knowledge rather than choice gold, for wisdom is more precious than rubies, and nothing you desire can compare with her."

Recommended Reading:
Renovation of the Heart
by Dallas Willard