Wednesday, November 29, 2006

November 29 - Salvation for Sinners

Today's Reading:
Old Testament: Deuteronomy 27 - 28
New Testament: Romans 3
Focus Verses: Romans 3:19-24
19
Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. 20Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin. 21But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, 23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

Insight:
No one can stand before God and say, "I have not sinned." Everyone has sinned. All have fallen short of the glory of God. No one will be declared righteous in God's sight by perfectly obeying the law, because no can keep the law perfectly. Since no one completely obeys the law, the law serves to show us how sinful we really are and how much we need to be saved by Jesus. This salvation is possible by faith in Christ.

Response and Action:
I understand that I am a sinner. The more I understand God's righteous law, the more I understand my need to be saved. My faith is in Christ Jesus; my redemption is made possible by his grace.

Have mercy on me, O God, a sinner. Thank you for the hope of redemption that is mine through Christ. Help me to grow in my salvation -- to be transformed and more obedient to your will each day. Amen.

Proverbs: 29:6
"An evil man is snared by his own sin, but a righteous one can sing and be glad."

Resources:
The Smell of Sin: And the Fresh Air of Grace
by Don Everts