Wednesday, November 08, 2006

November 8 - Acceptance for All

Today's Reading:
Old Testament: Numbers 7 - 8
New Testament: Acts 10

Focus Verses:
Acts 10:30-35
30Cornelius answered: "Four days ago I was in my house praying at this hour, at three in the afternoon. Suddenly a man in shining clothes stood before me 31and said, 'Cornelius, God has heard your prayer and remembered your gifts to the poor. 32Send to Joppa for Simon who is called Peter. He is a guest in the home of Simon the tanner, who lives by the sea.' 33So I sent for you immediately, and it was good of you to come. Now we are all here in the presence of God to listen to everything the Lord has commanded you to tell us." 34Then Peter began to speak: "I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism 35but accepts men from every nation who fear him and do what is right."

Insight:
God accepts anyone who has faith in him and reverence for him. Faith and reverence are lived out by honoring God and doing what is right. The testimony of all the prophets, Peter says, is that "everyone who believes in him (Jesus) receives forgiveness of sins through his name." God not only shows himself to Cornelius and his household, he is also helping Peter to know and understand him in fuller way.

Response and Action:
I am so glad that the scriptures make it very clear that God's mercy and love are available to everyone regardless of ethnicity, language, nationality, or even religious background. Those who believe in God and humbly seek him will find him. My faith in God and reverence for him must be lived out in my daily life by doing what is right. I will seek God with my whole heart. I will continue to expect God to help me know him more completely and deeply. I will be ready and willing to help others know and respond to God. The experience of helping them will undoubtedly help me to learn new things too.

God, thank you for loving us and for making a way for us to have forgiveness and life through Jesus. You have promised that whoever believes in him will not perish, but have everlasting life. May all who seek you find you, O God. May all who know you freely and boldly share your love with everyone around them. Help me to know you more and more each day. Amen.

Proverbs: 8:4 & 35
4 "To you, O men, I call out; I raise my voice to all mankind." 35 For whoever finds me finds life and receives favor from the LORD.

Resources:
Out of the Saltshaker & into the World: Evangelism As a Way of Life
by Rebecca Manley Pippert