Wednesday, November 14, 2007

November 14 - The Voice from the Mountain

Today's Reading:
Exodus 19:1 - 20:26
"Sinai and the Commandments"

Focus Verses: Exodus 19:16-19
16 On the morning of the third day there was thunder and lightning, with a thick cloud over the mountain, and a very loud trumpet blast. Everyone in the camp trembled. 17 Then Moses led the people out of the camp to meet with God, and they stood at the foot of the mountain. 18 Mount Sinai was covered with smoke, because the LORD descended on it in fire. The smoke billowed up from it like smoke from a furnace, the whole mountain trembled violently, 19 and the sound of the trumpet grew louder and louder. Then Moses spoke and the voice of God answered him.

Insight:
God had saved the nation of Israel and called them to a holy purpose: "You will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation" (v.6). God's holiness is so absolute that he warned the people of Israel to not even touch the mountain because doing so would result in death. The mountain itself rumbled and shook as it could barely abide God's awesome and holy presence. Then God spoke and gave Moses commands that would guide his people toward holy lives.

Response and Action:
Sin separates humanity from God who is absolutely holy. Just like the people of Israel and Mount Sinai, I need to recognize God's holiness and my sinfulness. Thankfully, God is working to guide, forgive, redeem, and transform those who will follow him in faith. More than just a list of laws, God has also sent his Son, Jesus, into the world to cleanse me from sin, to remove the barriers that separate me from God, and to transform my heart by the power of his Spirit. I will pursue holiness, look to Christ for forgiveness and transformation, and offer myself to God to serve his holy purpose for me.

O God, help me to turn away from what is wrong and do what is right. Help me to love you with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength, and to love my neighbor as myself. Lead me away from temptation and deliver me from evil. By the power and grace of your Holy Spirit, lead, teach, transform, shape, and strengthen me, that I might delight in your will, and walk in your ways, to the glory of your Name. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov.14:27
"The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, turning a man from the snares of death."

New Testament for Today: Hebrews 12:14,18, 22-23
14 Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. --- 18 You have not come to a mountain that can be touched and that is burning with fire; to darkness, gloom and storm; --- 22 But you have come to Mount Zion, to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God. You have come to thousands upon thousands of angels in joyful assembly, 23 to the church of the firstborn, whose names are written in heaven. In Context: Hebrews 12:14-29

Resources:
The Pursuit of Holiness
by Jerry Bridges