Thursday, November 29, 2007

November 29 - Seventh Day Shout

Today's Reading:
Joshua 5:10 – 6:27
"The Fall of Jericho"

Focus Verses: Joshua 6:15-16
15 On the seventh day, they got up at daybreak and marched around the city seven times in the same manner, except that on that day they circled the city seven times. 16 The seventh time around, when the priests sounded the trumpet blast, Joshua commanded the people, "Shout! For the LORD has given you the city!

Insight:
Jericho was the first city to fall as the Israelites entered the Promised Land and began to divide and conquer it. Rather than simply attacking the city, they followed God's command to march around the city for seven days in a solemn procession. The people were to march in silence while at the center of the procession seven priests walked before the Ark of the Covenant blowing on seven trumpets made of rams' horns. They marched around the city seven times on the seventh day, and then, at Joshua's command, they gave a loud shout and the walls of Jericho fell down.

This ritualistic approach to Jericho served to teach and remind the Israelites of several important things: 1. God was giving them the victory; 2. Worship and obedience were central to their success; 3. The God of Abraham was keeping his covenant promises; 4. The God of Abraham was their provider ("ram's horns" - Gen. 22); 5. Their victory was not the result of their own strength or power.

Response and Action:
In order to take hold of God's promises for my life, I will have to face and conquer some imposing challenges. Some of these challenges are like fortified cities that I will not be able to bring down in my own strength. Before attacking these challenges and problems by myself, I will take time to march around them--worshiping, trusting, and waiting on God. The battle belongs to the Lord! I will look to him for the provision, the power, and guidance I need to face the demands of my relationships and responsibilities.

O God, give me the faith, obedience, and strength I need to enter into the promises you have made. Give me an awareness of your presence. Guide me with your Word. Help me to worship you in stillness, and to wait upon you, believing that you are my Provider. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov.29:15
"Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe."

New Testament for Today: 1 John 5:3-4
3 This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, 4 for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.
In Context: 1 John 5:1-12

Resources:
The Fight: A Practical Handbook to Christian Living
by John White