Saturday, March 01, 2008

March 1 - When God Shines Through

Overview of: Daniel

Today's Reading:
Daniel 2:24-49
"Daniel Explains the King's Dream"

Focus Verses: Daniel 2:46-47
46 Then King Nebuchadnezzar fell prostrate before Daniel and paid him honor and ordered that an offering and incense be presented to him. 47 The king said to Daniel, "Surely your God is the God of gods and the Lord of kings and a revealer of mysteries, for you were able to reveal this mystery."

Insight:
King Nebuchadnezzar had been deeply troubled by his dream. Though he was sure this dream had an important meaning, he had no confidence in his astrologers or wise men to interpret it, and this troubled him even more.

When Daniel was able to tell Nebuchadnezzar what he had dreamed, Nebuchadnezzar was convinced he could trust Daniel's interpretation. He believed that Daniel had done something he could only have done with God's help.

Response and Action:
I will look to God for the grace, strength, and wisdom to do good things. I want to serve and bless others in ways that give witness to God's presence and power in my life.

O God, I am weak but you are strong. By the power and grace of your Holy Spirit, lead, teach, transform, shape, and strengthen me, that I might delight in your will, and walk in your ways, to the glory of your name. May the work of my hands, the words of my mouth, and generosity of my heart all give witness to the Spirit of Christ who lives in me. It's in His name, I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 1:7
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline."

New Testament for Today: 2 Cor. 4:7
7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.
In Context: 2 Corinthians 4:1-18

Recommended Reading:
Courage & Calling: Embracing Your God-Given Potential
by Gordon T. Smith