Wednesday, March 12, 2008

March 12 - Behind the Scenes

Overview of: Esther

Today's Reading:
Esther 1:1-22
"Queen Vashti is Deposed"

Focus Verses: Esther 1:12
12 But when the attendants delivered the king's command, Queen Vashti refused to come. Then the king became furious and burned with anger.

Insight:
The story of Esther is colorful and entertaining. The writer seems to be primarily interested in explaining the Jewish custom of Purim, which grew out of the Persian exile experience. While God is never explicitly mentioned in the book, God's hand of providence and intervention is clearly implied in all the events and details of the story. As the details unfold, it becomes clear that God has been at work behind the scenes all along.

Response and Action:
Though the treatment Queen Vashti suffers at the hands of King Xerxes and his court is less than honorable, God is able to use it as an opportunity to work for the benefit of the Jewish people who were scattered and exiled. I must remember that God is at work in the details of my life. He is able to use even wrongheaded circumstances and turn them toward good results.

O God, you are not unaware of the details of my life. You know my coming and my going. Before a word is on my tongue, you know it. The twists and turns of my life are no mystery to you. You are able to lead me, and bring me safely through every trial and loss. Help me to trust you as I remember your ways are higher than mine, and your thoughts beyond comprehension. I know you can work all things together for good. I pray all this in the name of Jesus. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 12:3
"A man cannot be established through wickedness, but the righteous cannot be uprooted."

New Testament for Today: Romans 8:28
28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
In Context: Romans 8:28-39

Recommended Reading:
Esther: Character Under Pressure
by Patty Pell