Friday, May 16, 2008

May 16 - Good or Best

Overview of: Luke

Today's Reading:

Luke 10:38-42
"Mary and Martha"

Focus Verses: Luke 10:36-37
41 "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

Insight:
It's possible to be so busy and concerned about doing what is good that we miss what is best. This particular encounter between Jesus, Mary, and Martha is a good reminder of this truth. Martha was so concerned with serving Jesus and the guests that she could not really enjoy and savor her time with them. Mary was so focused on simply being with Jesus and listening to what he had to say that she left some things unattended. Jesus commended her for this.

Response and Action:
I do not want to be so busy with serving Jesus that I have no time to enjoy him. I must take time to simply be with him, to pray, and to delight in the word. The same is true for my family and Christian friends. I must be intentional about being with them and enjoying them, not simply serving them.

O God, help me to glorify you and enjoy you all my days. May Jesus be more than Messiah, Lord, Savior, and God to me; may he be my friend, my delight, my brother, and my faithful companion. Give me a heart to serve Christ, O God, but first give me a heart to love him. Give me a hunger and affection for the scriptures. Give me a desire to pray. Give me a fullness of the Spirit and a deep awareness of his presence in every minute of my life. In Jesus name, Amen.

Old Testament for Today: Psalm 84:10
10 Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere...
In Context: Psalm 84

Proverb for Today: Prov. 16:19
"Better to be lowly in spirit and among the oppressed than to share plunder with the proud."

Recommended Reading:
Freedom from Tyranny of the Urgent
by Charles Hummel