Wednesday, May 07, 2008

May 7 - Redemption or Rocks

Overview of: John

Today's Reading:
John 8:2-11
"A Woman Caught in Adultery"

Focus Verses: John 8:10-11
10 Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" 11 "No one, sir," she said. "Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."

Insight:
The teachers of the Mosaic Law and the Pharisees were looking for ways to trap Jesus. The law laid out clear penalties and consequences for adultery, would Jesus just discard or contradict Moses?

For them, the law had been reduced to a list of rules and punishments. They seemed to have no regard or concern for the woman. If they were truly interested in justice, where was the adulterous man? In their pious legalism they would rather see her pounded with rocks than see her find redemption or renewal.

Jesus said, "The first rock should be thrown by whichever one of you is without sin." This simple and thought-provoking statement made it clear that every one of them deserved judgment. Without redemption, it would be rocks for everyone. All have sinned. All deserve judgment. The message of Jesus was that God’s desire was to redeem sinners, not strike them down with a rock. In the same way, we should be more interested in renewal and forgiveness than in judging and condemning. Redemption is far better than rocks.

The apostle Paul put it this way, "
Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death." Romans 8:1

Response and Action:
I will take hold of the redemption and forgiveness God has extended to me in Jesus. I will turn away from sin. I will join Jesus in his mission to proclaim and extend grace and redemption to the world. I will value redemption and hope and lay down the rocks of judgment and condemnation. Though I recognize sin and understand it has consequences, I will always strive to bring healing and hope instead of condemnation.

O God, help me to live for you and through you this day in thought, word, and deed. Help me to turn away from what is wrong and to do what is right. By the power and grace of your Holy Spirit, redeem and renew me, that I might delight in your will, and walk in your ways, to the glory of your name. Help me to be a witness and a channel of the redeeming love and hope of Jesus to everyone around me. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Old Testament for Today: Ps. 44:25
25 We are brought down to the dust; our bodies cling to the ground. 26 Rise up and help us; redeem us because of your unfailing love.
In Context: Psalm 44

Proverb for Today: Prov. 7:4-5
"Say to wisdom, "You are my sister," and call understanding your kinsman; they will keep you from the adulteress, from the wayward wife with her seductive words."

Recommended Reading:
Why Sin Matters: The Surprising Relationship between Our Sin and God's Grace
by Mark R. McMinn