Monday, December 01, 2008

December 1 - Starting with Praise

Overview of: Deuteronomy

Today's Reading:
Dt. 31:30 – 34:12
"Moses' Song, Blessing, and Death"

Focus Verses: Deuteronomy 31:1-4
1 Listen, O heavens, and I will speak; hear, O earth, the words of my mouth. 2 Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew, like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants. 3 I will proclaim the name of the LORD. Oh, praise the greatness of our God! 4 He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he.

Insight:
These last chapters of Deuteronomy contain the last words Moses spoke to his people. He begins with a song, and that song begins with praise. The song is very sobering as it recounts the unfaithfulness of God's people and the wickedness and idolatry of the nations. Both the song and the blessings Moses proclaims have an ominous tone as he speaks of the dangers of turning away from God. Their is promise and joy for those who walk in God's ways, but destruction for those who do not. Those who rejoice at the end of their lives will be those who are careful to begin everything they do with praise for God.

Response and Action:
I will acknowledge God's goodness and authority in all things. Honoring and worshiping God must extend into every activity of life. Every hope, desire, plan, dream, and action must be an act of praise. Every thing I do must be done to the glory of God. I want a life that pleasing to God and a joy for me. My devotion, worship, and obedience to God must be first in all things.

O God, you are my God. I will seek you earnestly. Do not let me stray from your commands. Show me your ways. Guide me in your truth and teach me. Help me to live out my praise and reverence for you in every thought, word, desire, and deed. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.


New Testament for Today: Col. 3:16-17
16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
In Context: Colossians 3:1-17

Proverb for Today: Prov.1:7
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline."

Resources:
Worship & Celebration
by Jan Johnson