Tuesday, December 30, 2008

December 30 - Remember Every Blessing

Overview of: Psalms

Today's Reading:
Ps. 103:1-22
"Psalm of Thanks"

Focus Verses: Psalm 103:1-2a
1 Praise the LORD, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. 2 Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits..."

Insight:
Praising God goes hand in hand with remembering all the blessings he gives. Counting and naming these blessings helped David to be thankful, and moved him to wholehearted worship. The benefits David enumerated in this song include: forgiveness, healing, redemption, love, compassion, righteousness, justice, and understanding.

Response and Action:
I want to praise God with all my being. I will follow David's example and count my blessings, naming them one by one. How has God helped, encouraged, forgiven, restored, healed, sustained, led, transformed, blessed, and saved me in recent days? I should think about this and offer up my thanks and praise.

O God, you are so good to me. Help me to remember your grace and blessing to me, and grant me a heart that is quick to give you praise. Yours is the kingdom, the power, and glory forever. Praise the Lord, O my soul! Amen.

New Testament for Today: John 1:16
16 From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another.
In Context: John 1:1-18

Proverb for Today: Prov. 30:32-33
"If you have played the fool and exalted yourself, or if you have planned evil, clap your hand over your mouth! For as churning the milk produces butter, and as twisting the nose produces blood, so stirring up anger produces strife."

Recommended Reading:
Learning to Pray Through the Psalms
by James Sire