Tuesday, February 24, 2009

February 24 - Regardless of Circumstances

Overview of: Job

Today's Reading:
Job 1:1 – 2:10
"Job's Faith Is Tested"

Focus Verses: Job 1:9-11
9 "Does Job fear God for nothing?" Satan replied. 10 "Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. 11 But stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face."

Insight:
The writer of Job sets the scene of Job's story with Satan making an accusation against God. He says, "The only reason people serve and worship you, God, is because you bribe them with blessing and comfort."

Response and Action:
Why do I honor and praise God? Is it because he is God--my maker, the giver of life, and only wise almighty sovereign? Or is it because I am looking to him for health, success, prosperity, and comfort? Does God have to buy my praise? Would I honor him and acknowledge him if there was no obvious benefit in it for me?

The Scriptures, my life experience, and the testimony of others show me that God does, indeed, bless those who trust in him. They also teach me, however, that a person who truly trusts God will give him honor and praise even in times of suffering. God is God regardless of my circumstances. The truest praise and deepest reverence I can offer God is the worship, faith, and loyalty I give him when there is no apparent benefit for myself.

O God, you give and take away. Blessed be your name in times of plenty. Blessed be your name in times of need. My lips will praise you in times of prosperity, and in times of trial and loss. I want to exalt you whether by life, or by death. Teach me the secret of being content in any and every situation. I pray this through Christ Jesus, my Lord, who in faith looked past his trials and hardship to the eternal joy set before him, and endured the cross, scorning its shame. Amen.

New Testament for Today: 1 Peter 4:19
19 So then, those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.
In Context: 1 Peter 4:1-19

Proverb for Today: Prov. 24:10
"If you falter in times of trouble, how small is your strength!"

Recommended Reading:
Waiting: Finding Hope When God Seems Silent
by Ben Patterson