Saturday, February 28, 2009

February 28 - Thirsty

Overview of: Isaiah

Today's Reading:
Isaiah 54:1 - 55:13
"Call to the Thirsty"

Focus Verses: Isaiah 55:1,6-7
1 "Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost. - - - 6 Seek the LORD while he may be found; call on him while he is near. 7 Let the wicked forsake his way and the evil man his thoughts. Let him turn to the LORD, and he will have mercy on him, and to our God, for he will freely pardon.

Insight:
Only God can give true life and true satisfaction. It is such a waste to spend time, money, and effort on things that do not ultimately fulfill or satisfy the deepest longings our hearts. How many things have I chased after because I thought they would make my life better, but instead found them to be yet another empty promise?

Jesus said, "Let everyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. For he who believes in me will have streams of living water flowing from the innermost part of his being." If I listen to God, give attention to his words, and take hold of the life he offers, I will find myself delighted and truly alive in Christ.

Response and Action:
God invites me to find fulfillment and satisfaction in him. Jesus invites me to come to him for life and meaning and salvation. I will respond to God's invitation and take hold of his promises by placing my faith and hope in Christ Jesus. I will follow him, forsaking my own ways and thoughts, and commit my heart and soul to living by faith in Christ.

O God, forgive me for the times I chase after the things that do not give life. Give me the wisdom and will to seek you with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. Only you can satisfy the desires of my heart. Only you can give my life the meaning and purpose I long for. Only you can meet my deepest needs and fulfill my highest aspirations. Thank you for Jesus and the life he gives to thirsty people like me who come to him and drink. Amen.


New Testament for Today: John 7:37-38
37 On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. 38 Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him."
In Context: John 7:25-44

Proverb for Today: Prov. 28:26
"He who trusts in himself is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom is kept safe."

Recommended Reading:
Come Thirsty: No Heart Too Dry for His Touch
by Max Lucado