Thursday, June 11, 2009

June 11 - Seeing My Need

Overview of: Revelation

Today's Reading:

Rev. 3:1 – 4:11
"More Words for Churches"

Focus Verses:
Revelation 3:17-20
17 You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see. 19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. 20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.

Insight:
It is so sad and so dangerous to be blind to one's own need. It is so easy to fall under the delusion of self-sufficiency that comes from comfort and possessions. Jesus is calling all lukewarm and half-hearted Christians to be earnest and repent. He stands at the door of our heart and knocks. If we will be responsive to him, he will come in and live with us. He will guide us to truth and refine us. He will give us the true riches of righteousness.

Response and Action:
I need to recognize my sin and need for Christ. I need to see the pitiful blindness and darkness of being deceived and lulled into half-heartedness by comfort and possessions. I need to hear Jesus' voice and open the door of my heart to receive his full counsel and the refining grace only he can give.

Lord Jesus, forgive me for any lukewarm and halfhearted attitudes you find in me. Give me a responsive heart and tune my ears to hear your voice. Thank you for the promise that you will live with me if I will open the door to you. Lead, teach, transform, shape, and strengthen me, that I might delight in your will and walk in your ways to the glory of God. Amen.

Old Testament for Today:
Deuteronomy 30:19-20
19 This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live 20 and that you may love the LORD your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the LORD is your life, and he will give you many years in the land he swore to give to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
In Context: Deuteronomy 30

Proverb for Today: Prov. 11:2

"When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom."

Recommended Reading:

The Voice of Jesus: Discernment, Prayer, and the Witness of the Spirit
by Gordon T. Smith