Monday, June 15, 2009

June 15 - The Battle

Overview of: Revelation

Today's Reading:

Revelation 12:1 – 15:8
"The Dragon and the Lamb"

Focus Verses:
Revelation 12:10
10 Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say: "Now have come the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God, and the authority of his Christ. For the accuser of our brothers, who accuses them before our God day and night, has been hurled down.

Insight:
There is so much in life that poses a threat to my well-being and causes me to be weary. Beyond the practical difficulties of my circumstances and problems, these things are part of a spiritual battle for my heart and mind.

Response and Action:
I recognize that there is a spiritual dimension to the challenges and struggles I face. According to the Scriptures, all of creation is part of a cosmic battle God is waging to redeem and save. I will cry out to the Rock who is higher than I when I am weary and overwhelmed. I believe in the salvation, power, and authority of Christ. I believe that he can save me and bring me safely to himself.

Save me, O God, when my heart is fainting. Lead me away from temptation and deliver me from evil. Protect me from discouragement and encourage me, by your Spirit, through your word, your people, your promises, and all that is beautiful and true. Grant me the wisdom and the will to guard my heart, feed my spirit, stimulate my mind, and care for my body. Help me to trust and acknowledge you in all my ways. Be my rock and helper in every storm and trial. Amen.

Old Testament for Today:
Psalm 61:1-2
1 Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. 2 From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
In Context: Psalm 61

Proverb for Today: Prov. 15:11

"Death and Destruction lie open before the LORD—how much more do human hearts!"

Recommended Reading:

The Throne, the Lamb & the Dragon: A Reader's Guide to the Book of Revelation
by Paul Spilsbury