Sunday, June 10, 2007

June 10 - 20/20 Worship

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Isaiah 4 - 6
N.T. - Romans 12

Focus Verses: Isaiah 6:1-5
1In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple. 2Above him were seraphs, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. 3And they were calling to one another: "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory." 4At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke. 5"Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty."

Insight:
It was while he was worshiping in the temple, that Isaiah began to see clearly who God is, who he was, and what his nation had become. In the act of worship Isaiah recognized the holiness, righteousness, and awesome sovereignty of God. He saw his own sin and rebellion toward God. And he realized just how far his people (family, friends, neighbors, nation, religious teachers, political leaders) had wandered from God. Sincere wholehearted worship was like bright light that gave him 20/20 clarity about how he and Israel needed to repent and turn their hearts to God.

Response and Action:
I need to worship God with my whole being. Sincere worship will help me see more clearly who God is, and who I am. Worship is more than words, rituals, songs, and traditions. Those things are empty apart from a true desire to know and honor God. God hates it when lips honor him, but hearts are far away from him. I will humble my heart and truly seek God in my personal daily worship times and when I gather with other Christians for corporate worship.

O God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Apart from your grace and mercy I would be undone. Help me to recognize your awesome glory and majesty, your love and beauty, your holiness and righteousness, your truth and wisdom and to worship you with all my heart and soul. Accept my sincere repentance and cleanse me and renew me as I put my faith in Christ Jesus and surrender my life to you. Prepare me, equip me, and empower me to be your witness and your servant to the world around me. Amen.

Proverbs: 10:9
"The man of integrity walks securely, but he who takes crooked paths will be found out."

Resources:
The Dangerous Act of Worship: Living God's Call to Justice
by Mark Labberton