Monday, June 18, 2007

June 18 - Nearer to God

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Isaiah 28 - 30
N.T. - Matthew 15:1-20

Focus Verses: Isaiah 29:13-14
13The Lord says: "These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is made up only of rules taught by men. 14Therefore once more I will astound these people with wonder upon wonder; the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."

Insight:
It is possible to be religious, to observe rituals and keep traditions, and yet have a heart that is far from God. False religion comes from spurious ideas, impure motives, duplicity, half-heartedness, legalism, and superstition. True religion and meaningful ritual flow out of a genuine love and reverence for God, humility, a sound understanding of Scripture, and the desire to honor and obey God.

Response and Action:
I want my faith and my religion to be more than words. I want my religious acts and words to be rooted in truth and genuine submission to God. I will look to Jesus, the Scriptures, and the Holy Spirit to guide me into truth. I will be careful to not let my religious practices slip into empty lip service and meaningless repetition. I will cultivate a heart for God and do all I can to draw near to him.

Open my mouth, O God, and my lips will declare your praise. Help me to love you with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. Teach me true religion that honors you. Help me to worship you in spirit and in truth. Help me to live my life in full surrender to you, that every thought, word, and deed might be a spiritual act of worship. Amen.

Proverbs: 18:7
"A fool's mouth is his undoing, and his lips are a snare to his soul."

Resources:
The Air I Breathe: Worship as a Way of Life
by Louie Giglio