Monday, June 04, 2007

June 4 - Heart of the Wise

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Ecclesiastes 7 - 8
N.T. - 1 Corinthians 1:18-31

Focus Verses:
Eccles
. 7:2-4

2
It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart. 3 Sorrow is better than laughter, because a sad face is good for the heart. 4 The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning, but the heart of fools is in the house of pleasure.

Insight:

Laughing and feasting are enjoyable, but difficult circumstances and sobering situations are more apt to stimulate profound thoughts about life's big questions. Those who think about the meaning, purpose, and stewardship of life are much more likely to attain wisdom. The burdens of life contribute to the blessing of wisdom.

Response and Action:
I need to look for insight and truth during times of trouble and hardship. What do they teach me about life, about myself, about others, and about God? When difficult circumstances cause me to question things, I need to give time to prayer and special attention to what the Scriptures say. Maturity and wisdom result from looking to God through seasons of loss and adversity.

O God, show me your ways. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God, my savior, and my hope is in you all day long. Thank you for your promise that nothing can separate me from your love. Help me to grow in wisdom as I acknowledge you and trust you in every circumstance. Amen.

Proverbs: 4:7
"Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding."

Resources:
The Ragamuffin Gospel: Good News for the Bedraggled, Beat-Up, and Burnt Out
by Brennan Manning