Saturday, July 14, 2007

July 14 - Words from God

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Jeremiah 34 - 36
N.T. - 2 Timothy 3

Focus Verses:

Jeremiah 36:27-28

27 After the king burned the scroll containing the words that Baruch had written at Jeremiah's dictation, the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah: 28 "Take another scroll and write on it all the words that were on the first scroll, which Jehoiakim king of Judah burned up.

Insight:
Truth won't go away. When Jehoiakim's father, King Josiah, had discovered scrolls of Scripture that had been lost and unknown to him, he humbled himself before God and did all he could to honor and obey the Word. Jehoiakim, however, did not want to hear what Jeremiah had to say. He cut up the scroll he received from Jeremiah into tiny pieces and burned them. Jehoiakim not only refused to accept the message he received from Jeremiah, he showed contempt and disregard for it. Jeremiah just wrote it all down again.

Response and Action:
I need to pay attention to Scripture. Truth won't go away; it can't go away. Rather than turning away from the message of the Bible, I will embrace it and allow it to instruct me as I seek to know and follow Jesus.

O God, I love your word. I seek you with all my heart; don't let me stray from your commands. Show me your ways, guide me in your truth, and lead me, because you are God, my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long. Amen.

Proverbs: 14:27
"The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, turning a man from the snares of death."

Resources:

The Dawkins Delusion?: Atheist Fundamentalism and the Denial of the Divine
by Alister E. McGrath and Joanna Collicutt Mcgrath