Sunday, July 22, 2007

July 22 - Listen and Speak

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Ezekiel 1 - 3
N.T. - Titus 2

Focus Verses:
Ez. 2:3-8
3
He said: "Son of man, I am sending you to the Israelites, to a rebellious nation that has rebelled against me; they and their fathers have been in revolt against me to this very day. 4 The people to whom I am sending you are obstinate and stubborn. Say to them, "This is what the Sovereign LORD says." 5 And whether they listen or fail to listen—for they are a rebellious house—they will know that a prophet has been among them. 6 And you, son of man, do not be afraid of them or their words. Do not be afraid, though briers and thorns are all around you and you live among scorpions. Do not be afraid of what they say or terrified by them, though they are a rebellious house. 7 You must speak my words to them, whether they listen or fail to listen, for they are rebellious. 8 But you, son of man, listen to what I say to you. Do not rebel like that rebellious house; open your mouth and eat what I give you."

Insight:
Ezekiel was called by God to speak out to his people, who were obstinate, stubborn, and rebellious. God told Ezekiel to take in and digest the message he had for the people--a message that was sweet because it was truth from God, but bitter because it was judgment toward Israel. The success of his message was not as important as his faithfulness to deliver God's message. He was to speak out whether people listened to him or not. And though many would respond to his words with threats and violence, Ezekiel was to not be afraid.

Response and Action:
How am I like Israel? What are the ways that I am rebellious and obstinate before God? And how responsive am I to rebuke and correction? Who are the people God has put in my life to admonish and confront me? Being open to correction and confrontation are essential to growing in righteousness.

How am I like Ezekiel? Are there things I should speak out about? Are there people or issues I need to confront? Do threats and fears ever stop me from saying what I know is right? Being a faithful witness requires a commitment to take in the sweetness of God's word, and the trust to speak that truth with courage.

O God, give me a heart that is soft and responsive to you. Give me the wisdom to delight in the sweetness of your word. And as you shape and guide me by your word, give me a boldness to live and speak according to your word. May the words of my mouth, the works of my hands, and the meditations of my heart be pleasing in your sight. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverbs: 22:5
"In the paths of the wicked lie thorns and snares, but he who guards his soul stays far from them."

Resources:

Making Judgments Without Being Judgmental: Nurturing a Clear Mind and a Generous Heart
by Terry D. Cooper