Tuesday, July 31, 2007

July 31 - Dangerous Success

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Ezekiel 28 - 30
N.T. - Colossians 3

Focus Verses:
Ezekiel 28:4-7
4 By your wisdom and understanding you have gained wealth for yourself and amassed gold and silver in your treasuries. 5 By your great skill in trading you have increased your wealth, and because of your wealth your heart has grown proud. 6 " 'Therefore this is what the Sovereign LORD says: " 'Because you think you are wise, as wise as a god, 7 I am going to bring foreigners against you, the most ruthless of nations; they will draw their swords against your beauty and wisdom and pierce your shining splendor.

Insight:
Success is a dangerous thing. According to Ezekiel's prophecy, the King of Tyre had accomplished great success through wisdom, understanding, and great skill in trading. His downfall, however, was that success went to his head, and because of his wealth his heart became proud. He went so far as to think of himself as a god.

Response and Action:
I want to be successful in my life and work, but I must guard against pride. I want to do good work and to accomplish much in my life, but I must do my work with my heart directed toward God's glory. Any success that turns me away from God is a success that God must oppose for my own good.

O God, help me in everything I do, whether in word or deed, to do it to your glory. Help me to pursue success and excellence with a heart for honoring you. Deny me any success or accomplishment that would turn my heart away from you. Give me a humble heart that gives you praise and thanks for every good thing I am able to do and every good thing I possess. Through Christ, Amen.

Proverbs: 31:30
"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised."

Resources:

Breaking the Idols of Your Heart
by Dan B. Allender