Thursday, January 10, 2008

January 10 - Famous for God

Overview of: 1 KINGS

Today's Reading:
1Kgs. 10:1-13
"The Queen of Sheba"

Focus Verses: 1 Kings 10:6-9
6 She said to the king, "The report I heard in my own country about your achievements and your wisdom is true. 7 But I did not believe these things until I came and saw with my own eyes. Indeed, not even half was told me; in wisdom and wealth you have far exceeded the report I heard. 8 How happy your men must be! How happy your officials, who continually stand before you and hear your wisdom! 9 Praise be to the LORD your God, who has delighted in you and placed you on the throne of Israel. Because of the LORD's eternal love for Israel, he has made you king, to maintain justice and righteousness."

Insight:
Solomon's fame became widespread because God's blessing on him and his kingdom was so great. The Queen of Sheba heard about God's blessing upon Solomon, and she traveled far to see for herself if the reports were true. The reality of what she discovered exceeded the reports she had heard. The wisdom, faith, beauty, leadership, and bounty she witnessed overwhelmed her.

When God is at work, people notice. Honest searches for the source of wisdom, truth, beauty, and blessing will always lead the searcher to God--the giver of every good and perfect gift.

Response and Action:
Like the Queen of Sheba, I want to search out and recognize God's blessing and truth. Like Solomon, I want to love and honor God live a life that evidences his blessing and guidance. I want to be a living witness of God's wisdom and goodness, to be shaped and guided by his wisdom and truth.

O God, give me wisdom and make my life a testimony of your goodness. Help me to seek you with all my heart so that everything aspect of my life gives evidence of your blessing. Draw me closer to you each day and help me to recognize you in everything that is beautiful and true. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 10:17
"He who heeds discipline shows the way to life, but whoever ignores correction leads others astray."

New Testament for Today: Matthew 12:42
42The Queen of the South will rise at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for she came from the ends of the earth to listen to Solomon's wisdom, and now one greater than Solomon is here.
In Context: Matthew 12:15-45

Recommended Reading:
The Mark of the Christian
by Francis Schaeffer