Monday, January 14, 2008

January 14 - Love for a Lifetime

Overview of:
SONG OF SONGS


Today's Reading:
Song 3:7 – 4:16
"The Wedding Day"

Focus Verses: Song 3:11 - 4:1
3:11 "Go forth, O daughters of Zion, and gaze on King Solomon with the crown with which his mother has crowned him on the day of his wedding, and on the day of his gladness of heart."
4:1"How beautiful you are, my darling, how beautiful you are! Your eyes are like doves behind your veil; your hair is like a flock of goats that have descended from Mount Gilead."

Insight:
There's nothing quite like a wedding to remind us all of just how beautiful and special a loving relationship can be. The bride and groom look their best, and spirits are high. The vows, the music, the scripture readings, and the fun of the reception all express our best hopes for the wedding couple.

I think it's even more beautiful to see a bride and groom still in love and still thrilled to be together ten, twenty-five, or fifty years into their marriage. The beauty of a wedding day, as wonderful as it is, pales in comparison to the beauty of long marriage where two lives really have become one.

Response and Action:
I will do all I can to nurture and sustain my marriage. I want the beauty of my marriage to outshine the beauty of any wedding day, even Solomon's! I will pray the same for all my married friends and relatives. I will do my best to bless, support, and encourage others in their marriages.

O God, help me to be a blessing to my wife. Thank you for the thirty years we've been married. Help our marriage to be a joy and thrill to each other, a testimony of your grace, and a praise to you. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 14:1
"The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down."

New Testament for Today: Ephesians 5:25
25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her
In Context: Ephesians 5:21-33

Recommended Reading:
The Mystery of Marriage
by Mike Mason