Wednesday, January 16, 2008

January 16 - Hearing My Heart

Overview of:
PROVERBS


Today's Reading:
Prov. 10:1-32
"Solomon's Proverbs"

Focus Verses: Prov. 10:18-21
18 He who conceals his hatred has lying lips, and whoever spreads slander is a fool. 19 When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise. 20 The tongue of the righteous is choice silver, but the heart of the wicked is of little value. 21 The lips of the righteous nourish many, but fools die for lack of judgment.

Insight:
Wisdom begins with a heart that is humble and reverent before God. Wisdom begins its work in the heart. Words and actions flow out of the heart. As fruit indicates the type of tree that produces it, our words indicate the type of heart that produces them. My mouth is a window to my heart.

Response and Action:
I need to listen to myself and consider what my words and my tone of voice says about my heart. Do my words demonstrate a love for God? Do they come from a humble spirit? Are they helpful and respectful toward others? Are they guided by truth? Do I say them in love? Are they motivated by righteousness?

O God, by the power and grace of your Holy Spirit, transform and shape my heart. Let my heart for you guide my mouth. Help me to say words that encourage and edify others. Teach me to speak the truth in love. May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord. I ask all this in the name of Jesus, my Lord and Savior. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 16:23
"A wise man's heart guides his mouth, and his lips promote instruction."

New Testament for Today: Luke 6:45
45 The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.
In Context: Luke 6:37-49

Recommended Reading:
The Fruitful Life: The Overflow of God's Love Through You
by Jerry Bridges